Chick Corea Elektric Band – To the Stars
Where is the hoopla around the new Chick Corea Elektric Band release To the Stars? The band easily ranks among the top fusion bands of all time. Every member – John Patitucci, Dave Weckl, Frank Gambale, and Eric Marienthal – all have sustained solo careers. I must not be in the loop because I’m not detecting any buzz. These guys have not recorded together in a decade. Yet from listening to this release, it’s like no time has passed.
To the Stars, inspired by the classic L. Ron Hubbard science-fiction novel, immediately jumps in your face with energy and power. Its complexity and construction is like the classic Elektric Band recordings you know. In case you might have forgotten, you will be instantly reminded of hard-to-surpass musicianship of these individuals. I’m overjoyed to hear Patitucci plugged in again, to hear Gambale stand out, and to hear Marienthal pull away from smooth jazz for a while. Corea sounds inspired. While you’ll recognize the familiar sounds that are characteristic of the Elektric Band, there are a few surprises. Most significant is a beautiful vocal choir on “The Long Passage,” which is voiced by Gayle Moran Corea.
The Elektric Band and this recording are the epitome of modern jazz. Spread the word! How often do jazz supergroups reunite?
Welcome back, band. Hope to hear you together again soon.
Wishful Thinking – What I Would Like To See As A Result Of This Elektric Band Reunion:
- Marienthal makes a follow-up to his 1990 modern jazz Crossroads CD
- Gambale CD sales quadruple
- Patitucci realizes how much he missed playing electric and records a new fusion CD similar to Christian McBride’s Vertical Vision
- Weckl takes a one-album break to do a solo record where he invites his all-star modern jazz buds. Despite a good number of excellent Dave Weckl Band records, his first solo effort, Master Plan, is still my favorite. His collaborations with Michael Brecker, Chick, Steve Gadd, Marienthal, and others were in the pocket on that. After that, bring the Dave Weckl Band to Kansas City.
- Chick gets the Foo Fighters to play his music at the Grammys – and it’s televised!